So much to learn, so much to keep track of! We tap into diverse bodies of knowledge to inform our work. These include organizational development, change management, facilitation, and collective impact.
Below are both tip sheets we’ve created at envision plus some websites we find particularly useful for our continual learning. The latter include professional associations where we get inspired by and learn from our peers.
- Assessing your organization’s status: Benchmarking elements
- Why work collaboratively: Barriers and Benefits
Strong, effective organizations
Multi-organizational, collaborative solutions
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Canada (adrontario.ca)
- Collective impact forum (https://collectiveimpactforum.org/)
- FSG (fsg.org)
- Tamarack Institute (tamarackcommunity.ca)
- Innoweave (Innoweave.ca)
- Partnership Brokers Association
- International Association of Facilitators (iaf-world.org)
- International Association for Public Participation (iap2.org)
Meeting process design
- Conversation Café/ World Café (conversationcafe.org/)
- Open Space Technology (openspaceworld.org)
- Appreciate inquiry (http://appreciativeinquiry.case.edu)
- Liberating structures (liberatingstructures.com)
- Future search (http://www.largescaleinterventions.com/english%20version/methods%20Future%20Search.htm)
- International Forum of Visual Practitioners (ifvp.org)
- Visual thinking resources (www.pictureyourthoughts.com/resources)
- American Evaluation Association (www.eval.org)
- Canadian Evaluation Association (evaluationcanada.ca; evaluationontario.ca)
- Sustainability Network
- Institute for Conservation Leadership
- Community at work’s resources (http://www.communityatwork.com/resources.html)
- Harvard Business Review (https://hbr.org/)
And some of our favourite references — the tried and true classics:
Austin, J. 2000. The collaboration challenge. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
Fisher, R and W. Ury. 1983. Getting to yes. NY: Penguin Press.
Gray, B. 1989. Collaborating: Finding common ground for multi-party problems. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
Holman, P. and T. Devane. 1999. The change handbook. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
Kaner, S. 2007. The Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision Making. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
Lank, E. 2006. Collaborative advantage. NY: MacMillan.
Schwarz, R. 2002. The skilled facilitator. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Senge, P. 1990. The dance of change (and field book). NY: Random House Publishers.
Straus, D. 2002. How to make collaboration work. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.
Susskind, L. and P. Levy and J. Thomas-Larmer. 2000. Negotiating environmental agreements. Washington, D.C.: Island Press.
Weeks, D. 1992. Eight essential steps to conflict resolution. NY: G.P. Putman’s Sons.
Yaffee, S. and J. Wondellock. 2000. Making collaboration work. Washington DC: Island Press.